aduhai..borneo post

Hari ini awal pagi dah terima Sms dari Kawan-kawan tentang artikel yang di tulis oleh Paul Sir dalam Borneo Post.

Ini Sms nya...
"Salam,while peace lovers all over the world saddened by Israel evil aggression,Borneo Post in its column "Paul Sir" of last Saturday edition had rediculled efforts on condemnation of Zionist atrocities and cruelties on the Palestinian.This insensitive remark must deserve a boycott of this paper over its "kurang ajar" attitude.Pls pass around."

So ..ini lah artikel yang menyebabkan kemarahan kawan-kawan....

Gaza: Some naive thoughts from some naive people!
THIS week, I am not short of subjects to pen. Today (Jan 17) is polling day for the Kuala Terengganu by-election. There is also the serious flood situation in Sarawak which has caused much suffering and pain to many people. Then, in three days’ time, Barack Obama will be sworn in as the 44th president of the United States.
Well, I don’t find much excitement in the Kuala Terengganu by-election. Whether BN retains the seat or it falls to PAS will not make a difference to the political equation in this country. I know I would be making a rather naive statement if I were to say that I don’t care whether it’s BN or PAS who wins. But honestly, how can the newly-elected MP for Kuala Terengganu make any difference to my life in Kuching. I sound naive, don’t I? Well, think about my statement again.
As for Barack Obama, I’ve already written several articles on the US presidential election over the past months; so I will pass on the American focus for now.
But yes, what about the Gaza conflict. I have not touched on the Middle East crisis for quite a while and as the world focuses its attention there, it should be an issue worth discussing this week.
A few days ago, I posed this question to a Muslim colleague: “Are you really concerned as a Malaysian Muslim about what’s going on in Gaza today?”
Without hesitation, he replied, “Sure. It’s genocide. More than 1,000 Palestinians have been slaughtered in Gaza.”
Besides that, what other reasons invoke your concern for the people of Gaza? I asked further.
“Human rights abuse going on there. And Gaza contains sacred sites for Muslims too,” my young Muslim friend replied.
But he was also quick to add, “No. I wouldn’t want to be too preoccupied with what’s going on there. It has always been a troubled region for good or bad.”
Then I asked him one final question, “Would you participate in the rallies and demonstrations in Kuala Lumpur against the Israelis?” His reply was a firm ‘No’.
I changed the subject after that as I did not wish to provoke my young Muslim colleague further.
However, I thought he answered my questions responsibly and fairly. I believe this would be the sentiments of the majority of young Muslims in Malaysia too.
But let me say this here. I will never take the religious view when responding to issues on wars, killings, genocides and other acts of annihilation and violence. Whether I’m a Muslim, a Christian, a Hindu or whatever, I have to condemn all atrocities no matter where such acts are perpetuated or against which groups.
Ask me whether the Israeli bombardments into the Gaza Strip is wrong, my reply is ‘Yes’. Ask me whether Hamas suicide bombers should be condemned for murdering others, the answer is also in the affirmative.
Yes, we should condemn wars and murders. Killing is wrong, period!
Again, I may sound naive by saying that if the Palestinians and the Israelis want to continue fighting and killing each other, what can I do? I want them to stop but if they refuse to do so, who am I to say who is right and who is wrong.
In the same manner, if the Catholics and Protestants in Ireland want to fight and kill each other, who am I (even as a Christian) to take side. I believe the best thing I can do is to pray that they may come to their senses because as Christians, they should know better the teachings of the faith they claim to profess.
I find it rather interesting, and disgusting too, at times to see how quickly we take sides and jump to conclusion whenever the Palestinians are attacked. It smacks of double standard when we only worry about the harm caused against those professing a certain faith while ignoring a similar plight of those of other faiths.
This week, I received this mail from a young Sarawakian working in Kuala Lumpur commenting on Gaza. He wrote, “Why is there so much fuss about this Palestine issue. Don’t take me wrong, I condemn any act of violence against children and women no matter who committed it. Hamas is not blameless because they relentlessly fired rockets towards civilians in Israel. Their suicide bombers killed more civilians than members of the armed forces. Why do we have to go all out to help the Palestinians when there are so many people in our own country who need help? What happened to the plight of the Penans? What happened to the police reports against loggers who allegedly raped the underage Penan girls? Why so quiet now? Furthermore, I haven’t heard of any donation drive to help their fellow Malaysians in Sarawak who are now affected by the worst floods in living memory.”
This second letter was published in a news portal — “The Malaysian parliament passed resolutions condemning the Israeli attacks on Gaza. But what about what is happening to the Tamils in northern Sri Lanka? Why not a sound from our elected MPs? We have no Palestinian voters here in Malaysia. But there are millions of Tamils in Malaysia who are concerned for the welfare of the Tamils in Sri Lanka. Why isn’t the Malaysian government condemning the attacks on Tamil civilians in Tamil Eelam? Then, what about the five Tamils who have been locked up in Kamunting. They are now forgotten?”
Well, can I surmise that the writers of the two letter are as naive as me when dealing with an issue of such magnitude as the conflict in the Middle East?
But, are we really?
I like to invite you to read the two letters a second time and think whether they speak for many responsible, caring and patriotic Malaysians who feel the same way but just do not have the courage to pen how they really feel inside them for all to read.
The point I wish to make is: Can we stop practising ‘double standard’?


So my friends..u decide samada ianya memperkecilkan keprihatinan rakyat Malaysia and Muslim di Malaysia terhadap penderitaan Rakyat Palestin.

Bagi saya artikel yang sensitif macam ni tak payahlah di terbitkan kerana ada yang tersinggung...terasa...termarah...dan akhir terboikot Borneo Post.

Kalau ada yang tak setuju dgn tindakan sebahagian dari rakyat Malaysia yang menunjukkan kemarahan terhadap Israel ..baik diam saja..


Comments

arsaili said…
salam ..who is this Paul Sir? i think he is not wise enough! and im wondering who is editor yg release this article....
Anonymous said…
Well...I just let myself think simple. from the negative side...he might stir the anger of some people. From the positive side...he's trying to speak out of every angle in our world. Afterall, for whom is heaven belongs too and who can says that " I'll sure be in heaven?? " Lets LOVE and PEACE prevails in our land for the judgement is only in the hands of God.
Anonymous said…
sememangnya, ramai yg memilih untuk diam sahaja. mungkin kamu patut juga?
prinsip adalah penting, walaupun isu kecil, prinsip adalah pegangan, kalau prinsip malaysia ....tak terfikir ka buat sesuatu berprinsipkan malaysia, makmuj pun berkonsep malaysia, isu syurga neraka jadi panduan, dah jelas, tapi isu ini isu dunia lagi-kita rujuk kepada malaysia, don't you think you should sound or voice like Malaysian.

Disitu Langit dijunjung
disitu bumi dipijak
disini kita berlindung
fikirlah sebelum bertindak
mokk said…
..kita mempunyai hak untuk bersuara dan mempunyai hak utk 'diam'.

Lebih baik kita menjaga keharmonian dan mengamalkan toleransi kaum dan agama..dan kita perlu berfikir berkali-kali apabila ingin mengatakan pendapat kita..

..kita semua tak ingin melihat negara kita huru hara dgn sikap yang tak bertoleransi..
Anonymous said…
mungkin pendapat saya dirasakan kerdil,tetapi saya melihat negara kita hanya kuat dari segi menyampaikan suara sahaja.tapi adakah dengan suara sahaja penderitaan palestin berakhir?sebagai muslim,berdoa agar setiap jiwa umat islam yang tergadai oleh bom zionis adalah yang paling mampu kita lakukan.semoga mereka diletakkan dalam kalangan org2 yang dirahmati Allah.

saya bersetuju dengan penulis bahawa lebih baik kita hanya menjaga keharmonian negara kita yang kini agak "kritikal" situasi politiknya.saya sudah naik muak dengan kandungan berita2 mainstream negara yang berat sebelah.saya berdoa agar negeri sarawak terus aman dan makmur walaupun berlaku perselisihan politk tetapi keadaannya masih lagi terkawal.

sekian

Popular posts from this blog

...PILIHANRAYA...KWS MELAYU.....

Gambir Sarawak

belajar bahasa melayu sarawak....